1.yama – the five social ethiccs
- Ahimsa- Non violence in action speech and thought
- Satyam- truthfulness in intention remaining established in the higher truth.
- Asteya – non-stealing
- Brahmacharya – Divine conduct, celibate when single faithful when married.
- Aparigraha- not accumulating things unnecessarily and not desiring things that belong to others.
2. Niyamas – The five personal ethics
- Shaucha- cleanliness of the body and mind
- Santosha- contentment remaining happy
- Tapas- Austerity and self-discipline
- Swadhaya- Study of the self abiding in the self
- Ishwarapranidhana- Surrendering to god, honouring the divine.
3. Asanas – yoga postures
4. Pranayamas – proper regulations of life force (prana) through certain breathing techniques.
5.Pratayahara- Taking the senses inwords.
6.Dharana- One-pointed focus.
7.Samadhi – The highest state of consciousness. This is possible to achieve during meditation.